Virgin Media O2 has unveiled its new entertainment service, Stream from Virgin Media.
Available from tomorrow, Stream combines most-loved TV channels with on-demand apps, popular streaming subscriptions and movies to offer customers a convenient and personalised entertainment experience that works for them. Any customer taking Stream can get 10% credit back on the subscriptions they add to Stream and will have the ability to convert older TV models into a voiced activated Smart TV.
Customers can enjoy Stream on a 30-day rolling contract, allowing them to add or remove subscriptions every month. Disney+ is now available on Virgin TV for the first time through Stream, alongside other popular apps including Netflix, Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, Starzplay, BritBox and YouTube as well as live TV subscriptions including Sky Sports and BT Sport.
David Bouchier, Chief TV & Entertainment Officer at Virgin Media O2, said: “At a time of endless entertainment choice and a strain on household budgets, we’re putting viewers first. Stream customers will only pay for the entertainment they choose and can pocket monthly savings on the content they add – it is a truly flexible and personal way to enjoy the entertainment that matters most, at great value. Stream is more than just a new TV service, it’s whole new way to enjoy connected entertainment. More than ever, content and connectivity go hand in hand and with Stream we’re delivering the best of both.”
At launch, Stream is available to both new and existing customers who take a Virgin Media broadband only or broadband and home phone package. Customers can add Stream for a one-off activation fee (£35), with no ongoing cost beyond the streaming services they choose to subscribe to.
Recent analysis carried out by researchers at MTM has shown that while video-on-demand (VOD) is commonly the first type of TV that consumers turn to when looking for something to watch, live TV is almost on a par – with 36% of UK consumers claiming to turn to linear first, vs 37% for VOD.
Additional MTM Group analysis from 3 Reasons Ltd has also shown that the TV set is increasingly the most popular way to view VOD programming, with 72% of programme streaming requests happening through the TV set, growing from 54% in 2016.
Stream offers enhanced features such as Voice Search and Control, Profiles and Watchlists so customers can cut through the chaos of what to watch and where to find it, diving straight into their favourite shows and movies in a matter of seconds no matter where the content is.
Whether at home or on the go, customers with Stream can manage their entertainment with ease across devices via the My Virgin Media app, simply using the app to add and remove TV subscriptions to suit their needs.
For Stream related press enquiries
Olivia McKee – email@example.com
For Virgin Media O2 related press enquiries
Press Office – firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
· Fact sheet and images available at www.news.virginmediao2.co.uk
· Stream will be available to all new and existing customers who take a Virgin Media broadband only or broadband and home phone package, from M50 to Gig 1 Fibre
· Stream Credit – 10% saving when compared to Virgin TV 360 pricing. Credit applied to monthly bill. Credit cannot be applied to offer prices
· Ultra HD: Requires a Stream box from Virgin Media, and 4K compatible TV to watch in Ultra HD
· Ultrafast: Our ultrafast speeds are anything over 100Mbps
· MTM is a specialist research and strategy consultancy providing insight and evidence-based opinion to the media, technology, sport and gaming sectors. Based in London, they support clients around the world, including Virgin Media, Sky and TalkTalk; the BBC, ITV and Channel 4; Disney, WarnerMedia, Discovery and Amazon Prime Video. Survey data used in the Stream product launch presentation is from MTM’s proprietary study ScreenThink: a 6 monthly tracker of the UK’s TV and video landscape, surveying n=3,000 consumers in a sample constructed to represent the online population. 3 Reasons is a company of leading market analysts and consultants, and part of the MTM group. For over 15 years, 3 Reasons has provided an authoritative and widely-accepted model of the UK competitive landscape for TV and long form video. The model is updated every six months, and delivers a comprehensive picture of platform dynamics, device usage and viewing behaviour in the UK market, as well as forecast trends for the next decade. Market data used in the Stream product launch presentation is calculated from 3 Reasons’ proprietary model.